Thursday, November 3, 2011

My mom's running a marathon...

Back in February of this year, the Bells were having a nice family dinner and the topic of the NYC marathon came up. I was telling my parents and brother how much I loved it and what a great experience it was. I then looked at my mom and told her that she should run it. She glared back at me with the "Stephen, are you serious look?" and said she'd think about it. I said, "Why not?" Two minutes later, she caved and said if I wanted to her run that she'd run. I told her of course I want her to run, but I want her to want to run. She nodded in agreement. So here we are, 8 months later, 2 days away from the NYC marathon and half of the Bell family will be lacing up their running shoes come Sunday morning. That's what makes this year even more special. In addition to my many friends who have decided to join me on this 26.2 mile stroll through this great city, my mother, Mrs. Sally Bell will see first-hand what it's like to run a marathon.

For as long as I can remember my mom (and my dad and brother too, but this about mom) has been my number #1 fan, advocate, and supporter. My mom has been there with me through everything. She's someone I can count on, talk to and lean on (except the one time she told me to take the bus home after 7 days in the hospital...she eventually picked me up). She means the world to me and I am forever grateful for everything she has done and continues to do for me.

It's been a very fun and exciting 8 months watching her train and get ready for Sunday. She ran her first race in nearly 15 years, a 10K, over the summer and followed it up with a half-marathon in September. I could not be more proud and can't to see her cross the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment